Sunday, April 29, 2012

Remembering that day

Sarah says:

I'm not drinking tonight.  First, because I don't want you guys to start thinking I'm an alcoholic.  Second, I just don't feel the need.

All that thinking about the corn in the ear last week and how I felt like the worst Mom in the world for making Liam suffer for that long, got me thinking about my true “worst Mom day”.  Sure, there have been stressful days that my patience was running slim and I yelled at the kids, when I probably should have taken a few deep breaths instead.  Or there’s been those days when I just didn’t have the energy to play games and be creative with them, so I let them watch TV for hours.  There’s also been the crazy, over-protective, shelter my kid days, and I look back and think that I should have let them just live and learn.  Those seem like nothing compared to this one day.
  
They were this old!
My truest “worst Mom day” was Sunday, April 25, 2010.  The worst day ever, I will never forget it.  Liam was 2 (well, it was 1 week before his 3rd birthday, but technically he was still 2!), and Mary was about 15 months.  It was the early afternoon, Jon was working, I had taken the kids to Target for a quick trip (but since it was Target we probably spent more time there than expected, which means Liam had some pent up energy).  We got home and I got Liam out of the car, (he sits on the side closest to the door) took him right inside the door, and told him to take off his shoes and go potty while I got Mary out.  I went back to the car for Mary (so now I’m on the side of the car farthest from the house door), pull her out and our things and go back inside.  I start putting things away and call for Liam to come to the kitchen for a snack.  He doesn’t respond, but I figure he’s playing somewhere.  A few minutes later I call him again.  No response.  One more call to him, and one more silent response.  So I go looking for him, in all the usual spots, his room, the playroom…. then I start checking the unusual spots, our bedroom, various closets.  No Liam.

At this point, I’m starting to panic.  I opened the door to see if he’s in the backyard, and I immediately see his tracks from his wagon wheels going down the driveway.  Adrenalin sets in and I take off down the street faster than I have ever run in my life.  I actually see him two blocks away turning into the park entrance.  I scream at him to stop but of course he doesn’t hear; he’s happily pushing his wagon around when I finally catch up to him.  I rush over to him, pick him up, plop him in the wagon and get back home asap.

I cannot explain the feelings that rush through you when your baby is missing, even if it is just a couple of minutes.  It's absolutely, without a doubt, the worst feeling ever.  It’s terrifying, your stomach completely drops, and you start shaking.  Even worse than the moment were I didn't know where he was at all, was the moment where I saw him enter the park, but I coudn't see him.  What if something happened to him in those few moments before I got to him.  I'd never forgive myself.  I was so close to him, yet I felt so far away.  And then those feelings when you see that they are ok, it’s overwhelming.  I’m not sure I can even remember it all.  I know I cried… a lot.  I know I yelled at him, kissed and hugged him, told him I loved him, and then yelled at him some more.  Then I probably cried some more. 

BUT – that’s not all that happened that day.  It gets worse.  Liam isn’t my only kid.  Remember Mary, yeah, so she’s all alone at home the whole time I’m out getting Liam.  I know leaving a 15 month old home alone isn’t exactly suggested, but when your 2 year old is running down a main road by himself, (yes, main road, we don’t live in a subdivision, we live on a busy main road), crossing streets to get to the park, you kind of forget about following the rules.  So, I get back home, open the door, and there’s Mary, standing there, in a pile of glass.  Somehow one of the dining room chairs fell backwards, hit the window, shattered it, and she’s just standing there in it.

Seriously, Worst Mom Day ever!  I was still trying to comprehend what just happened with first baby, and now I’m dealing with my second baby in danger.  I quickly scoop her up and get her and Liam into another room so I can figure out what to do.  I think I called Jon, and cried.  Eventually, I cleaned up the window, taped a big garbage bag over it until we could get it fixed.  Then I just sat with Liam and Mary and held them tight for a while. 

I’m pretty sure how it all happened.  When I was on the other side of the car getting Mary out, Liam snuck out the door and into the back yard to get the wagon.  When I went inside, he took off down the driveway.  As for Mary, she was at walking age, but still falling and grabbing onto things to save her.  She probably toddled into the dining room, but started to fall so she grabbed onto a chair to stop herself, which caused it to fall backwards and break the window.

I realized later how lucky I was, I really believe God had his hand in how things worked out for me.  It happened to have rained earlier in the day.  The driveway was dry, but the grass was still wet.  Liam took his wagon to the park, the ONLY way I knew he left the house was by the wagon tracks going down the driveway.  Had it not rained, the wheels wouldn’t have been wet, and those tracks would not have been there.  Also, the fact that Liam took his wagon at all was a blessing.  Those tracks also allowed me to know which way down the driveway he turned (thank God he turned and didn’t go straight!), otherwise I could have headed in the complete wrong direction.  Also, I happened to see Liam about 2 seconds before he turned into the park entrance.  Had I wasted anymore time looking for him around the house, I would have missed that, and wouldn’t have known how far to run (because those wagon tracks dried up just outside the driveway).  I had just finished loosing 20 lbs. and had picked up running about 6 weeks earlier.  6 weeks earlier, I couldn’t have run to the end of the corner, let alone sprinted to the park.  Mary was 15 months old, a very curious age.  Once the window broke she didn’t move.  She didn’t walk, she didn’t touch anything, she didn’t put anything in her mouth.  Mary is always walking, running, falling, touching, eating.  The fact that she chose that 5 minutes to refrain from any of that is beyond me.  That window could have seriously injured something.  I should also add, that I also find it quite amazing that Oscar didn’t get hurt or lost during any of this.  99.99% of the time when I would walk through the door, he'd come running and follow my every move.  This was the 00.01% that instead of doing that, he choose to just lay on the couch.  He didn’t run out of the house, he didn’t examine the broken glass, he just sat.

And now they are this old!
Babies in danger = worst feelings ever.  In those moments everything else seems so insignificant.  I cannot imagine what I’d do if something serious happened to either of them.  They are my world, every single decision I make somehow involves me thinking about how it will impact them.  Moments like that also make you realize how special life is.  It’s way too precious to waste.  There is a quote by Oprah that I love, “Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.”  I’m trying to live by that more often, especially around the kids.  It’s very easy to get stressed out with them, but sometimes you just have to take a deep breath, let go, and enjoy the moment.  It could all change in a moment.  I keep that day in the back of my mind as a reminder.

What day will you never forget?

Ugh… remembering all those emotions is exhausting, maybe I do need wine!

1 comment:

  1. From Sarah Schroeder - Nothing compared to your day, but I have 2 stories of lost children....absolutely terrifying! When Ben was a few months old, and Anna had just turned two, I left Ben home with Jason while I took Anna to Super Target (what is it about Target and bad days?). I almost always have both kids with me, because I usually work opposite shift from Jason & I rarely get the opportunity to go with one, or even no children. Anna was riding in the cart, minding her business & being a relatively good little girl in the store. She nicely asked me if she could get out of the cart & walk - no big deal, i thought, she usually stays right next to me (except for one other day which you'll read about below). I lifted her out, put her down & continued to browse the grocery shelf, with her in my peripheral vision. The next second, she squeals in delight & takes off running down the isle & turns the corner. I run after her and when I get to the end of the isle, I can't see her. I go to the next isle & look, No Anna. I go to the isle after that & look, no Anna. After 2 isles I start to freak a little. I call out her name - nothing. I call again - nothing. It must have only been 10 seconds, but if felt like 10 minutes. I was frozen - I had no idea which way to go. Then I hear her squeal again - over towards the clothing area. I catch a glimps of her running & weaving in/out of the clothes racks. I start to chase after her, she runs faster, dodging me left & right. I chase her all the way to the opposite end of the SUPER TARGET (which is almost as huge as a meijer.) Finally I catch her in the homegoods section. I carry her kicking & screaming all the way back to the cart still sitting in the cereal isle. I was so mad & relieved at the same time. I am just so grateful I didn't have Ben with me that day - leave him & chase her? I couldn't have kept up with her pushing a huge cart through all those racks. Lesson learned - I didn't let her out of the cart for a long long time after that.

    A few months prior - Ben was a newborn, Anna only about 18 months old. I'm at the mall with our new double stroller, Anna has an easy entry seat in the front without the lap bar, Ben is in his carrier snapped into the rear seat. I had Anna sitting in her seat, not buckled in (I tend to be really lazy about buckling kids into the stroller). I get onto the elevator - front first. Go down one floor, and I'm looking over my shoulder as I back off the elevator. I glance forward to see Anna standing in the elevator alone just as the doors are shutting. LUCKILY I get my hand there just in time to stop the door....I take a sigh of relief & put Anna back into the stroller, but I still didn't learn my lesson and I don't buckle her in. We walk through the store a bit, I stop to look at something on a rack. I turn back and Anna is gone from the stroller....AGAIN! I look around and I don't see her, I walk a little further down, and catch a glimps of her turning to go up the escalator. I had a moment of indecision because I didn't want to walk away from my newborn but I knew I had to run, and fast! I caught her about 1/4 of the way up the escalator. I carried her back to the stroller - and BUCKLED HER IN!!!! She is one fast little sneaky girl! Luckily, now she knows better and actually has a fear of getting lost from me in public places...so I know she wont be wandering off on purpose anymore!

    ReplyDelete