Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Leelanau Cellars Winter White

Description on the bottle:  A celebration of Northern Michigan.  Winter White is lightly fruity and semi-sweet, this wine is perfect for light afternoon luncheons or fruit, cheese and sausage trays, or an as aperitif.

Northern Michigan enjoys four distinctly beautiful seasons, and it is in celebration of these seasons that Leelanau Wine Cellars offers our specially blended premium wines, each as unique as the season it represents.  The label of each wine is designed to capture the feeling of the season, while the wine itself emphasizes the fruitiness of the grape.  It is properly balanced and is complementary to most foods served in your favorite restaurant or prepared at home.  

Sarah says:  I think the more wine I drink, the more I realize what I like and don't like.  I already knew sweet wine is out, but I'm beginning to think that even semi-sweet it too much for me.  As much as I used to deny it, I like dry wines.  This wine was good, but still a little on the sweet side.  I wouldn't buy it again, but I could see someone who liked sweet wine really enjoying it.  It has a nice fruity taste that is easy to drink, but it's just not for me.  I didn't realize they had a wine for each season, I am intrigued and looking forward to trying the others.  I think I will like summer and fall!

Overall rating:  Thumbs half way up - a good wine if you like 'em sweet!

Now that it's winter, we have been spending a lot more time indoors.  To keep my kids entertained while trapped inside, we've been doing a lot of puzzles.  Mary has always enjoyed puzzles, but she is suddenly really good at them.  She completes two puzzles in the time that Liam does 1 (that isn't intended to be a harsh statement about Liam - everyone has different talents... Mary's includes puzzles, Liam's doesn't).  Mary has completed several 60 pieces, I think she's ready for the 100's! 

Mary gets it from me.  I love LOVE love puzzles.  Always have, always will.  It's been years since I've done them - I just don't have the time or the space for them.  I met one of my best friends through a love of puzzles, and that love entertained us for many years.  For some awesome reason, in the basement of the house I grew up in, we had an extra really big table.  Amanda and I spent countless hours hunched over that table doing puzzles, probably ruining our backs and our eyes from the dim basement light.  But we loved it, we even glued some of the best ones together afterwards and hung them on the wall.  Amanda, remember the Wizard of Oz one?!  That reminds me... I wonder what happened to those when my Dad moved out of that house? Hmmmm.... 

Anyways, I love the time spent doing a puzzle.  I usually put on some good music and just zone out for however many hours it takes.  Time seems to fly by when I'm doing a puzzle.  I love that there is a start and a finish.  There is a right or a wrong piece.  Everyone has a different approach, some people start with the edges, some sort everything by colors, others by shape - but at the end of the day, we all end up in the same spot.  Sometimes in life you can't tell if you've made any progress on something at all, or if you are even headed in the right direction.  With a puzzle, you can look and see exactly how much is done and what is left.  That is refreshing.  On the other hand, there isn't anything quite as unsettling as almost finishing a puzzle only to discover there is one piece missing.  That sense of working hard on something and not being able to finish is disturbing.  But overall, puzzles for me are relaxing and fun.

Here is a puzzle I did last weekend.  I like bigger puzzles, bigger challenge = bigger reward at the end.  But again, lack of space and time restricted me to a smaller one.  Still - I'm pleased with the results.  Might sound strange - but puzzles are a little bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.  I'm already like the biggest dork ever, so admitting I like to spend my spare time doing a puzzle doesn't really help my reputation.  I used to try to hide this love of mine and only do it in secret, but it's time I open up about who I really am... I'm a puzzle loving freak.  There you have it.

What do you do that gives you nerd status?


No comments:

Post a Comment